The station originally began broadcasting on February 13, 1949, as the first television station in the Texavillian market. Originally an ABC owned-and-operated station, the station broadcast for three hours a day. It was also one of ABC's original owned-and-operated stations to sign-on, after WXYZ-TV in Detroit (now owned by the E.W. Scripps Comapany).
In May 1955, ABC sold WTX-TV to the Westinghouse Broadcasting Company. The station has used its most famous and current logo, the number 6 in Group W's typeface, since 1965.
On February 2, 1986, WTX-TV became the third television station in Ohio to broadcast in stereo, after WKYC-TV in Cleveland and WCMH-TV in Columbus, as well as the first ABC affiliate in Ohio to do so.
In addition to carrying the full ABC schedule, WTX-TV syndicates the Paramount-distributed Entertainment Tonight.
March 3, 1985 (WIP)Edit
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: ???
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Ripley's Believe It or Not
8:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Rodney Dangerfield: Exposed
9:00 PM - 11:00 PM: Moonlighting (PREMIERE!)
1:00 AM - 5:30 AM: SIGN-OFF
- 20??-present - www.abc6texaville.com
- 1975-76 - Welcome to the Bright New World on Channel 6 (localized version of ABC's 1975-76 slogan)
- 1976-77 - We're Channel 6, Let Us Be the One (localized version of ABC's 1976-77 slogan)
- 1977-78 - Channel 6 is Still the One (localized version of ABC's 1977-78 slogan)
- 1978-79 - Channel 6's the One You Can Turn To (localized version of ABC's 1978-79 slogan)
- 1979-80 - Channel 6 is the One. Still the One. (localized version of ABC's 1979-80 slogan)
- 1980-81 - You and Me and Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1980-81 slogan)
- 1981-82 - Now is the time, Channel 6 is the place. (localized version of ABC's 1981-82 slogan)
- 1982-83 - Come On Along with Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1982-83 slogan)
- 1983-84 - That Special Feeling on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1983-84 slogan)
- 1984-85 - We're With You on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1984-85 slogan)
- 1985-86 - You'll Love It on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1985-86 slogan)
- 1986-87 - Together on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1986-87 slogan)
- 1987-89 - Something's Happening on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1987-89 slogan)
- 1989-90 - Something's Happening, Here on Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1989-90 slogan)
- 1990-92 - Texaville Is Watching Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1990-92 slogan)
- 1992-93 - It Must Be Channel 6. (localized version of ABC's 1992-93 slogan)
- 2000 - Welcome to Television's New Millenium, on ABC 6. (localized version of ABC's promo slogan welcoming viewers to 2000; despite the year being considered the final year of the 20th century)
Sign-off announcement historyEdit
Station ident historyEdit
Other station elementsEdit
- In the fall of 2015, 17-year old Nextonvillian Carolyn Lenning funded the expedition to retrieve some of the lost recordings from WTX-TV, the first time she had gone on an expedition without her parents. These lost recordings can now be viewed online, either through the station's official website, its YouTube page, or via the Internet Archive. This lead her to becoming one of the most profitable women in Nextonville, Tennessee, thanks to the Lenning Corporation.
- You can read more about the 2015 Lenning expedition here: WTX-TV/2015 Lenning expedition
|Television stations in Texaville, Ohio|
|WTMD-TV 2 (Indie)|