WNVI, virtual and digital VHF channel 5, is a Fox-affiliated television station licensed to Nextonville, Tennessee, United States. The station is the flagship property of locally owned NextonVideo Industries, and operates as part of a duopoly with NBC affiliate WNXT-TV (channel 6). WNVI's callsign letters stand for "NextonVideo Industries," which refers to the station's current licensee, NextonVideo Industries.
The station went on the air on February 12, 1958 as WOAN-TV, whose call letters stood for "We Observe All Nextonvillians." Like most other television stations in the United States, the station broadcast a black and white signal until May 1, 1963, the dawn of color television signals. On August 5, 1966, WOAN-TV changed its callsign to what we know today as "WNVI." On February 1, 1975, the station gave itself on overhaul, branding itself as Eye 5, and received new decor for its news studios. Also, WNVI syndicated several programs in the early 1980s, including Entertainment Tonight, WKRP in Cincinnati, and I Love Lucy.
On October 9, 1986, WNVI became a charter affiliate of the Fox network after the network's inception, although most of its programming schedules remained the same as before. NextonVideo Industries sold the station to Fox Television Stations for eight years on March 31, 1996, making it an owned-and-operated station from 1996 to 2004. Then, Fox sold it back to NextonVideo.
WNVI shut down its analog signal, over VHF channel 5, at 12:29 PM on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-powered television stations switched to digital broadcasting under federal mandate. The station's pre-transition digital signal remained on UHF channel 19.
February 4, 1981 (WIP)Edit
- 5:00 AM - 6:00 AM - SIGN-ON
- Halloween 1975 - Eye Scream, You Scream, Eye Five! (a pun on "I scream, you scream!")
- 1990-1992 - It's on Fox 5 (localized version of Fox's 1990-92 slogan)
- 1990-1991 - Nexton Fox 5 is For You! (used alongside It's on Fox 5)
- 1992-1993 - Everybody Knows It's on Fox 5 (localized version of Fox's 1992-93 slogan)
- 1993-1994 - It Could Only Happen on Fox 5 (localized version of Fox's 1993-94 slogan)
- 1994-1995 - Fox 5 is Kickin' It (localized version of Fox's 1994-95 slogan)
- 1995-1996 - Fox 5: Cool Like Us (localized version of Fox's 1995-96 slogan)
Station ID announcement historyEdit
- 1990-1991 - "It's on Fox 5, WNVI, in Nextonville, Tennessee!"
- In 2015, based on her love of WNVI, 17-year old Nextonvillian female Carolyn Lenning appeared as a guest star on Family Guy (which the station broadcast) during its 14th season. The episode is titled "Spot the Difference," and in that episode, she played herself, both in live action and animation.
|Television Stations in Nextonville, Tennessee|
| WTNO-TV 3 (ABC) |