Channel 5 in Bango was originally the home of former DuMont television station KBGT, which signed-off the air on August 3, 1956 (three days prior to the DuMont network's shutdown).
The station signed-on the air on September 23, 1959, and aired an analog signal on VHF channel 5. Originally affiliated with the ABC network, its first sign-on took place at 1:30 PM, and usually remained on the air from 6:00 AM to 1:30 AM, when the station signed off. On June 10, 1962, when the ABC network was demonstrating color broadcasts, KITY-TV became a full-color station. On February 22, 1968, media conglomerate Panther Communications, Inc. bought KITY-TV.
On June 9, 1978, the station swapped affiliations with KBMN-TV, becoming an NBC affiliate. The reason behind this is because ABC was looking for a stronger affiliation in the Bango television market, as NBC's ratings were plummeting at the time. As with other NBC affiliates in the United States, the station syndicated cartoons in the morning, such as Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye the Sailor Man. Also, during the station's years as an NBC affiliate, KITY-TV employess offered cat costumes for females with the station's logo imprinted on the front, cat tails, cat ears, skirts, and white fishnets.
On May 1, 2001, KITY-TV began conducting digital television broadcasts over UHF channel 33. In September 2002, KITY-TV reversed the 1978 affiliation swap with KBMN-TV, again becoming an ABC affiliate.
- 1979-1981 - Kitty 5, Proud as a Peacock! (localized version of NBC's 1979-81 slogan)
- 1981-1982 - Kitty 5, Our Pride is Showing (localized version of NBC's 1981-82 slogan)
- 1982-1983 - We're Kitty TV, Just Watch Us Now! (localized version of NBC's 1982-83 slogan)
- 1983-1984 - Kitty TV, Be There (localized version of NBC's 1983-84 slogan)
- 1984-1986 - Kitty 5, Let's All Be There (localized version of NBC's 1984-86 slogan)
Read more: KITY-TV (ABC)/Campaign lyrics
Read more: KITY-TV (ABC)/Sign-off history
Newscast title historyEdit
- 1959-1966 - The Kitty 5 Report
- 1966-1973 - The Kitty 5 Newswatch
- 1973-1979 - Feline 5 Newswatch
- 1979-1988 - Newskitty 5
- 1988-1995 - Kitty 5 Newswatch (identical to the 1966-73 newscast title)
- 1995-present - Kitty 5 News (after switching back to ABC, KITY-TV kept this title, and still does so today.)
Digital broadcasting and analog shutdownEdit
As mentioned above, KITY-TV began broadcasting a digital signal on May 1, 2000, over UHF channel 33.
KITY-TV terminated its analog signal at 12:30 PM, over VHF channel 5, on June 12, 2009, the official date of the federally mandated digital transition. The station's digital signal remained on pre-transition UHF channel 33. On its final analog day, a montage of classic KITY-TV station idents and promotional adverts through the station's near-50 year history was displayed, followed by a self-produced national anthem video that was usually aired when the station began signing off in full color.